If you’ve logged into Facebook Ads recently, you’ll probably have seen a warning to prepare your ad account for iOS 14 changes.
NB: This is an article from Avvio
This is a mandatory update, required for your social ads to continue running on any device.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and stay up to date
Why is change afoot?
Apple introduced a new App Tracking Transparency framework for iOS14. Users can now ‘Ask App Not to Track’. If they click that button, apps are restricted in what user data they can track. As most Facebook Ads bookings come through apps like Facebook or Instagram, this is a game changer for hotel advertising.
The good news is advertisers can still track one conversion, even if users opt out, as long as tracking is set up correctly.
US & CANADA 2021, March 8-12REGISTER
Who needs to action the changes?
This is a step hotels need to take in their own Facebook Business Manager. (Whichever account verifies the domain owns the verification.) Afterwards, you can share access to your digital agency as needed.
>> Step one; verify your domain.
This is an easy step to take in Facebook Business Manager, and we’ve included imagery from Facebook’s help centre to illustrate the steps.
- Once you’re logged in, click on the Business Settings button, in the top right hand corner.
Image credit: Business.facebook.com
2. Next up, click on Brand Safety, on the left hand menu. Choose Domains when it appears.
3. Click the blue +Add button, and enter your domain. Leave out the https.//www. Info from the URL. E.g. type ‘hotelexample.com’
4. Pick which method you wish to use to verify your domain. If you’re working with a digital marketing agency, they’ll advise which is the best domain verification option for you. If you’re not sure at this stage, send all three and let them pick.
5. Send the verification method to your digital marketing agency for implementation.
6. When your agency have advised this is implemented, you’ll then need to go back to Brand Safety, Domains, and click on the green Verify button.
7. If you’re working with a digital agency for social marketing, share the domain with them by clicking on Assign Partners. Your agency will be able to provide the Business ID needed here.
>> Step two; plan your conversion events
After your domain is verified, it’s time to make sure your conversion tracking is still set up correctly. If your domain verification AND Facebook Pixel are shared with your agency, they can help with this step.
We need to pick the conversion events that are most suited to your business, and stack them in order of importance. If people opt out of iOS14 app tracking, then we will still be able to record the #1 conversion we choose. Avvio recommends you choose purchases as your one tracking event. After all, bookings and revenue are the most important metrics.
If you’re actioning this yourself:
- Navigate to Events Manager within your Business Manager. Here, you’ll see an option called ‘Aggregated event measurement’
- Click on Configure Web Events.
- Choose the events in order of importance – purchase should come first.
Does this have any other impact?
With this change, Facebook updated their default attribution model. Previously, they reported on any conversions that happened 28 days after someone clicked an ad, and 1 day after viewing an ad. The new default is a 7-day click attribution, which Avvio have been using for some time.
While this sounds like a lot of change, in reality it’s less than 20 clicks on Facebook to make the updates. This only has to be done once per property, and will ensure your campaigns run without any further interruptions in 2021.